A youth track and field and cross country team committed to teaching the sport to young people while making it fun.
What's going on week of 9/29/2014 - Week 5
Color Run "Blazer style"
We have done hill repeats, shorter sprints and stamina runs. Every runner needs to make sure they have fun and incorporate adequate rest. For this reason, we are having a "fun" week of practice.
We will be having a Color Run "Blazer Style" at both the Tuesday and Thursday practices.
The coaches are asking for any parent helpers we can get for both practices this week to make sure
the color run is a success. Practice is at the normal time at Laumeier Park.
Exciting Special Guest Appearance - Tuesday, October 14th:
We are very excited to announce that former St. Louis Blazer, and current professional runner, Eric Fernandez, will make an appearance at practice on Tuesday, October 14th!
Please make an effort to get your runners to this practice to meet a very successful former St. Louis Blazer!
A little bit about Eric:
Our Meet Schedule is up.
- Current professional runner for Northern Arizona Elite.
- In college, he was the number one runner, and captain, of the Arkansas Razorbacks cross country team.
- 2011 individual SEC (conference) champion in Cross Country.
- 2011 NCAA All-American in Cross Country.
- 2012 SEC (conference) champion in the 10,000 meters.
- Ten-time All-SEC team member selection.
- Seven-time member of SEC championship teams in track and cross country.
- Graduate of Parkway West High School, Eric went undefeated during cross country in his senior year of high school, capped-off by a first-place finish at the state championships.
- In high school track, Eric finished in the top six each year in the 3,200 meters, including a state championship win his junior year.
In case you missed Team Night, please do not worry:
Each runner is still welcomed by the Big River family to purchse shoes and gear at a 20% off discount through the end of September at any of its four locations.
- Just mention that you are a Blazer and you will get the full treatment.
- You will not only get quality shoes, but great advice about anything running!
- The reason we stress good shoes is to limit the chances of injury.
- We encourage the runners to ask the staff questions about running.
AAU Nationals at Rim Rock Farms in Lawrance, KS
It is time to start planning for the AAU nationals meet. Because the location is reasonably close, we will be planning on traveling as a team for the runners that qualify.
We will be staying at Hampton Inn hotel
- It is the individual runners' family's responsibility to reserve their own room.
- One thing to consider is that there is a University of Kansas basketball home game that weekend, so it is likely that the rooms will be in high demand.
- The KU game is Saturday, but the runners and their families will technically need the hotel rooms only for Friday night as we could potentially drive home after the races.
The Significance of Rim Rock Farms
To put Rim Rock Farms into context, it can best be described as as a Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium of Cross country. It was designed by Bob Timmons, the retired University of Kansas XC/Track & Field Coach, and there is perhaps no other course in the United States as specifically dedicated to the sport of cross country as the Rim Rock Farm course.
The course has been the home of the University of Kansas Jayhawks since the 1974 season. In 2004, Coach Timmons dontated the land and the course to the university of Kansas. The course is not only quite challenging, but also unusual. In addition to having two covered bridges as part of the course, Rim Rock Farms also features specific hills, turns and other landmarks that are named after former Jayhawk greats. Dispersed throughout the course are silhouette statues of seven legendary Jayhawk distance runners including Herb Semper, Allen Frame, John Lawson and Olympians Billy Mills, Wes Santee, Glenn Cunningham and Jim Ryun.
Yes! We are still accepting new athletes.
We welcome our returning team members and those giving us a try.
We practice every Tuesday and Thursday September-December (cross country) or April-June (track) from 5:45-7:00
We will be practicing at Laumeier until mid-late October where we will move to Kirkwood Park
On-line registration is available now Join the Team
Registration is $55 via the website. $60 paper form. Multi-child discounts are available by emailing email@example.com. Our program is one of the most affordable, so we don't prorate registration fees.
You enroll a season at a time. Track (April to June) is separate from Cross Country (September to December)
Not sure if our program is right for you? Try us out for TWO free practices. Just bring the signed Trial Athlete Wavier
Your child would do best if he/she did some running before the season begins. A typical practice is between 3-5 miles, but don't be intimidated. It is broken up into many smaller segments.
We accept ALL kids (age 8-18) who want to run.
We accept new athletes all season long.
We let each family select the commitment level that is right for them. We have some athletes who practice, but don't compete
and other athletes that compete, but do all their practicing on their own.
In 2013, we ended Track season with 87 kids and 84 in cross country.
Inclement weather policy - We will make a decision at 4:00 and have it commincated via Facebook, Email to Registered Team Members, and on the front page of our website - www.stlblazers.com.
Water is not always available, so bring your own.
Bathrooms are not always available, so go prior to practice.